Wednesday 19 March 2014

Cyber Italia - again

Heyo!

I'm in Cyber Italia. Again. I've been putting together what was supposed to be a short plan showing what I intend to do in the last assignment for Portrayals of Crime and Deviance. I've now got about 800 words. I did say short, right? Well..

The plan is to compare Dexter to CSI Miami with focus on how they are relative to the time they are set in. I chose those two because they are set in the same city, making them a bit easier to compare, and because they are so completely different. While Dexter is fairly relateable, CSI Miami is a whole mixture of stuff that's not relative to anything. In CSI Miami, DNA sequenses from blood samples take 30 seconds to complete, while in Dexter, the centrifuging stage alone take 12 hours. Also, in Dexter, while not entirely realistic, the crew take a lot more precautions not to contaminate the crime scene they are working, by wearing protective clothing. In CSI, blood, tissue and hair samples are handled by people in fancy dresses and high heels and I cannot begin to descibe how much that annoys me. The whole show is really just a stupefied parody on the truth of forensic work and don't even get me started on Horatio Crane and his damned sun glasses at the end of each episode.. If they find a dead prostitute with her arms and legs cut off, he has no ethic issue what so ever with taking off his bloody sun glasses while saying "I guess that's the last time she charged an arm and a leg for the service". I mean, come on, how about showing some respect for the dead, huh?

Anyway. I feel like I use that word a lot. Anyway. It feels weird to start a new section on a completely different subject without something to tie it together, do you know what I mean?

Anyway. The weather's been really nice lately. I've actually only wore dresses and skirts for the past week, it's amazing! Yesterday and today it hasn't been as great as last week though, but at least it hasn't been raining. I also rediscovered a skirt I thought I'd forgot in Norway, so I've been wearing that today. It's a dark grey maxi skirt and I've been passing time by ripping out all my tops from my dresser, trying to find out how many different variations of outfits I have now that I know where the skirt is! I have another one in black, so maybe I'll leave the tomboy look behind for a while and go for a relaxed maxi skirt and converse look for a while? I'm especially looking forward to wearing it in Spain in april, with just a bikini top and a loose singlet, great outfit for hot days!

Right, that got very girly very fast. I'm not that girly, really, so I've got to recuperate now.

Earlier today I played Monopoly with Haroon, Sharleen, Andrew (Sharleens boyfriend) and Rhys (one of my flatmates next year). It was really fun! I love playing Monopoly, but I have no economic sence what so ever, so I find it hard to know what's a good deal and what's not and that's a bit of a problem when playing Monopoly. the only time I've ever won in that game was when playing alone with Sharleen last week, but according to herself, she's shit at it as well, so that might not have been that much of an accomplishment, haha! Me, rhys and Sharleen are living together next year along with Liam and Hannah, from WD28, where Rhys lives now, and Nye, a guy that Liam knows from the Rugby team. Sharleen got Monopoly for her birthday this year, so I'm seeing some flat feuds over silly games in my future.

Talking about my future, I (think) I've gotten a bit further with changing course for next year. The faculty leader told me to email the programme leader for forensics to ask if there were actually room for me in the class for next year, so I've done that, hopefully he'll respond tomorrow and I can get the paper work sorted and I'll officially (almost) be a forensics student!
The faculty leader also sent me the list of next years modules, so if I do get in, this is what my year looks like from September:

Semester 1:
Introduction to Forensic Studies
Academic and Employment Skills
History of Forensic Studies
Introduction to Criminology 1
Semester 2:
Trace Evicende
Forensic Biology
Police and Police Work
Key Thinkers and Themes in Conceptualising Crime

I've already had Intro to Crim1, Police and Police Work and Key thinkers and Themes in conceptualising Crime as well as a module similar to the Academic and Employment skills module, so I might not have to do those again, which would make my year next year almost too easy. Two modules each week, four assignments each semester at the most, it would be heaven! However, it would make the transition into second year that much harder, so that's going to be a challenge, but I'll get to that when I get there, no need to worry about that yet!

I should probably get back to writing now. I think I'm mostly done with the plan for the PoC&D module, so I'll email that to the module leader and then I'll have to get started on the 2000 word essay due monday for the Police and Police work module. The assignment is to "Debate the notion that in the modern era the police force must be armed to ensure local and national security," and that's something that I actually know a thing or two about, since we've discussed it a bit in previous school years. I also have an advantage, since I have information not only on how things are done in the UK, but I can also compare them to how things are done in Norway and then talk about which method works best, so I think it'll be a good essay!

Hope you all have had a good day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rude and abusive comments will be deleted.