Sunday 23 March 2014

Bo Burnham - From Gods perspective

Books that you think I wrote are way too thick
Who needs a thousand metafores to figure out you shouldn't be a dick
And I don't watch you when you sleep
Surprisingly I don't use my omnipotence to be a fucking creep

You're not going to heaven
Why the fuck would you think I'd ever kick it with you?
None of you are going to heaven
There's a trillion aliens cooler than you

You shouldn't obstain from rape just 'cause you think that I want you to.
You shouldn't rape 'cause rape is a fucked up thing to do.
Pretty obvious, just don't fucking rape people
Didn't think I'd have to write that one down for you.

I don't think masturbation is obsene
It's absolutely natural and the weirdest fucking thing I've ever seen
You make my job a living hell
I sent gays to fix overpopulation
Boy did that go well

You're not going to heaven
Eat a thousand crackers, sing a million hymns
None of you are going to heaven
You're not my children, you're a bad game of Sims.

You shouldn't obstain from pork just 'cause you think that I want you to.
You can eat pork because why the fuck would I give a shit?
I created the universe, think I'm drawing the line at the fucking deli aisle?

You argue and you bicker and you fight
Atheists and catholics, jew and hindus argue day and night
Over what they think they think is true
But no one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you

You pray so badly for heaven
Knowing any day might be the day that you die
But maybe life on earth could be heaven
Doens't just the thought of it make it worth a try?

My love's the type of the thing that you have to earn
And when you earn it, you don't need it
My love's the type of the thing that you have to earn
And when you earn it, you don't need it

I'm not gonna give you love just 'cause I know that you want me to
If you want love then the love has gotta come from you

Link to the song

I love this song. This is exactly the view I have of religion. Don't get me wrong, if you believe in what ever religion it might be, that's good for you, but religion is not for me.

The problem I have with religion (read: christianity) is

1. some people follow the bible like slaves (pun intended). God did NOT write the bible and over the last 2000 years, the church has altered the bible to make more money off it. How is that acceptable? How can you follow something like that to the letter? There's some good things in the bible, I'll give it that, like the 10 commandments and so on, but it's as Bo says in the song: Who needs a thousand metafores to figure out you shouldn't be a dick?

2. Somewhere in the bible, it says that "you shouldn't lie with a man like you would lie with a woman." A lot of christians has taken this and ran with it. One great example is the Westboro Baptist Church. They run the website called GodHatesFags.com. From a few simple sentences in the bible, this lot has decided to take it upon themselves to protest agains homosexuality as if it were a choice that people made.

3. The day catholic priests start practice what they preach and stop raping young children, I'll concider taking religion a tad more seriously.

Back to the song!

I love how Bo brings up rape culture, LGBT-rights, masturbation taboo, war and the notion that pork are sacred meat, all in a three minute song! I love how he finishes the song by saying that if you want to be loved, you have to love. Nothing is free, you have to give to recieve. This guy is a genious, it's as simple as that.

I know some people has said that he uses homophobia and racism to make humor, but I think that if you have some humor yourself, you'll be able to understand what he's saying without being offended. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of either homophobia or racism, but I think that even if you are a member of the BAME-community or the LGBT-community or both, you should at least have a tiny bit of humor about it. I'm not saying you should take all kinds of crap concerning your identity, but being able to laugh and make jokes makes life a bit easier.

Anyway, have a listen to the song, it's absolutely golden and definitely worth your time!

2 comments:

  1. Korleis kan du ha et problem med kristendommen når grunnane du he såtte opp ikkje he noke med sjølve religionen å gjer? Som foreksempel de at noken følge bibelen heilt bokstavelig, og de at noken kyrkje-samfunn hata homofile? De e menneskelige valg, og ikkje religionen sin.

    Vi fekk fri vilje av en grunn, og de e opp til oss korleis vi bruka den. At noken menneske ikkje eige kjærlighet for andre e ikkje Gud eller Jesus sin feil, og burde helder ikkje "gå utover dei". kristendommen dreia sej ikkje om regla, men om kjærlighet og forståing til andre menneske og dyr, og de faktum at du selvfølgelig trur på at Jesus døde for syndane dine, og at Gud skapte verda.

    Som du sjølv saa snuppis, Gud skreiv ikkje bibelen og den he blitt forandra opp gjennom åra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tar til mej de du sei, du he heilt rett i at de ikkje e religionen sin "feil" at menneske oppføre sej som dei gjer, men mi oppfatning e likevel at dei ej snakka om velge å oppføre sej slik dei gjer på grunn av si tolkning av religionen og de e vel de som gjer at ej he et problem me religion. Ikkje nødvendigvis religionen i sej sjøl, fordi de e en veldig fin tanke osv, men me alt faenskape som he foregått på grunn av menneske sin tolkning av religionen og hellige skrifte og sånn opp gjennom tidene så klara ej ikkje å knytte mej sjøl til de.

      Delete

Rude and abusive comments will be deleted.