Monday 26 May 2014

It's been a weird day.

This morning I found out that one of the guys I went to school with a few years ago, past away in a gruesome car accident last night. He was 19 years old, just a couple of months younger than me! It's strange, how fast things can change, how fleeting life is. I know that sounds like a total clichè, but it's so true!

Håvard was one of the "cool guys" in my class, in my opinion at the time. Now, of course, I know that they were weird and a bit stupid, the lot of them, but at the time, I was dead scared of what any one of them thought of me. However, when I met him after graduating secondary school, he was a changed man. Or maybe I was a changed girl, I don't actually know. Anyway, he was sweet and caring and nice and I feel so bad for not getting to know him better when I had the chance.

One of the last times I saw him, was on new years eve, about five months ago. He, a friend who also went to our class, and Håvard's girlfriend were out drinking and he called me, asking if I could drive them home, because I put on my facebook that I was driving that night. I picked them up and on our way to his girlfriends house, we talked a lot. We talked about what we were doing for our educations, about the good old days, about everything, really. When he got out of the car, he gave me 15 pounds (not worth as much in Norway as in England) and said "if this isn't enough, message me, and I'll transfer some more tomorrow." I never did ask for more, but I thought it was really sweet of him to offer.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that, even though I didn't have too much to do with him since we left secondary school, it still hurts that he's gone. I suppose you don't really have to spend much time with someone to care about them. Even though I haven't talked to him in five months and probably even longer before that, I feel so bad for him because he will never experience being a husband or a father, he will never know what it's like to grow old, to have grandchildren and to do all those things throughout your life that everyone wants to do at some point. I feel bad for his parents and siblings who has to deal with the pain and sorrow of loosing someone who's so close to them.

I wish you hadn't left us, Håvard, and I say "us" because even though you and I didn't talk much in the end, I still cared and it still hurts that you're gone. You touched on a lot of lives and everyone who knew you, cared for you, and that will be obvious at your funeral. The church will be completely full, because you were truly a wonderful guy and we will all miss you so much.

Rest in peace, heaven has gained an angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rude and abusive comments will be deleted.